Saturday, July 28, 2012

The journey begins,...and keeps on going, and going, and...

Came down and stayed overnight at the Siena Hotel with my wife and daughters.  Needless to say, at least one of them didn't go to bed until way late.  Did my part and got to RDU with plenty of time to spare on Saturday morning.  Thus begins my trip,...and then I go to the gate and Delta has oversold the flight.  

They were looking for one volunteer to take the next flight.  As incentive, a $400 travel voucher plus two $10 meal tickets.  Figuring that my Flight from JFK didn't leave until 7:30 pm and I've checked in for my connecting flight at 11:30 am, there's no way I could miss my flight from JFK to LHR - right?  

Twelve hours and a canceled flight later, I was re-booked to fly out of Atlanta at 9:20 pm.  Flight leaving RDU to Atlanta was 15 minutes behind, but that's OK.  I'm finally on my way,...right?  Get to the gate at the International Terminal and the flight has been delayed until 2:00 am!!!  At least they re-booked me on a British Airways flight.  

Well, looking on the bright side, I at least got the rest of my reading done for the first week of class at Oxford.  I also reactivated my Delta Skymiles number from way, way, way, back in the day - back in the 20th Century, I think.  

At this point, it's 12:20 am and I'm toast.  I can definitely tell I've been up for more than 16 hours straight.  Time to get a little nap and pray that my checked bag makes it on the British Airways flight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment